Friday, June 1, 2012

The Un-Vacation

Into every vacation some "un"s must fall. After about 1500 miles, this is what we've experienced:

The unexpected:

Yep - a hailstorm just four hours into our trip. Who woulda thought?


 
The unusual:
After seeing this, our youngest asked, "Where does the driver sit?"
He's our concrete, sequential thinker.


 
The uncontrollable:



Actually, we didn't run into this creepy crawley construction traffic until 1200 miles into our trip. It made me long for the other construction zones we went through that just had orange cones randomly placed, absent of construction workers, and a reduced speed zone that, when you exited, left you wondering, "What was that all about?"

And, last - and my favorite: the unannounced. But first, remember my last blog? (click on that to read it if you haven't....) And how grown boys feel about family pictures in public?

Anyway, here is our first family vacation picture:


A couple questions:
#1:   Do I look a) triumphant,  b) mischievous,  c) thoroughly enjoying getting a family picture, or d) all of the above?  
#2:   Does son-in-foreground look like he's thinking a) "I'd like to crawl under this table,"  b) "I can't believe Mom did this,"  c) "This is so embarrasing," or d) all of the above?

How did I sneak in a family picture without a lot of resistance? Simply get boys distracted with food, nonchalantly sit camera on table, secretly observe people around us and plan my attack. The first young 20-something that comes by, I say, "Excuse me, can you take our picture?"

"Of course," they oblige - as son looks at me, totally caught offguard with a stare that says, "I can't believe you're doing this." The picture is snapped. After our photographer leaves, son says, "This is why I should have stayed home."

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my photography tactics!

Stay tuned for next blog where I'll post pictures of a few landmarks to test your knowledge.



3 comments:

  1. Whoever took the picture owns the rights....let Isaac know ;) ~robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture, Karen - love your surreptitious tactics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, it's not a good idea to surprise the 20-somethings in my life - but I'm glad I did with this one!

      Delete