Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bad News Gone Good


I was stressed when I walked in the computer store today. I hadn't renewed my anti-virus software, and you know what happens when we surf without protection. That's right - you end up with diseases. And apparently, my computer was a candidate for the ICU.

I must admit - my computer is my bosom buddy. We spend a lot of time together. So she needed quick healing. I heard about a store that would diagnose free.

So I tenderly wrapped up my friend, put her in my tote bag and took her in for some relief from her viruses.  




As I approached the Fix-It Counter, Amy greeted me cheerfully and said, "What can I do for you?" She listened to the symptoms for only a few minutes and said, "Oh, we can take care of this. We deal with this all the time. But, I'll just turn 'er on and see what's happening."

She can help me! That was the best news I'd heard all day.




There is something so refreshing about the confidence of  kids in their twenties when it comes to computers. Not that my generation can't use or repair them, it's just we had to learn about computers. Whereas, I think these young twenty-and-thirty-somethings  were born with a computer chip that helps them maneuver their way through electronics at the speed of light. Which, if they are teaching you, can be bad. But, when they are fixing your computer, that finesse is a good thing.

So here was Amy - young enough I could have given birth to her. She even had tatoos. I knew my computer was in good hands. And, indeed, it was. Less than two hours later Amy had my friend feeling fresh as a daisy.

Amy even explained (very carefully and tediously) some other things about my computer. For instance, I had surfing options. Who woulda thought? I had been surfing with the same browser my entire computer life. But she told me about the advantages of possibly choosing one of three other options.


Amy also gave me her business card and invited me to call her with any and all of my questions. She doesn't know what she got herself into with that kind gesture, I thought. This could come in handy because my very own twenty-year old is moving out soon. I won't have him to whine to when something goes wrong.




 I think Amy, my computer,
and me are going to be a
great team!












  
And, in the meantime, I'm back online and all is well.


1 comment: