Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Favorite Part of Vacation . . .

I can think of a lot of things I like about vacation. But I'm just gonna hit it head on: the best thing I like about vacation with my family is that I have a captive audience.

See, over the past 20 years of vacations with three kids, which multiplied up to five kids, and now back down to two kids, we've traveled a lot of miles. Oh, some vacations have been close to home - 2 to 3 hours. But quite often we find ourselves loading up the van like a pack mule and embarking upon 8 to 24 hours of drive time. And my kids are all there with me! They HAVE to be with me. They can't ask to go to friend's house. They can't sequester themselves in the bedroom. They even have to go to the bathroom with me at the next rest stop.

So I was looking forward to this vacation with my remaining-at-home offspring, a 19 and 20 year old. I don't see them much, as you can imagine. Either they're at work, college, social life-ing, or going somewhere just because they can!

Ahhh...but now I get to spend eleven uninterrupted days with them. We can have heart to heart talks in the car. They can tell me about their deepest dreams and plans for the future. OK, OK....probably not.

But, the deal is, if they want to talk to somebody, it has to be either me or hubby. Sure, they are texting with their friends, but still, they're with me. And that's more than I can say for most of the time at home in normal life.

AND....they have to take pictures with me. When they all were small, they took pictures willingly at the Grand Canyon, Golden Gate Bridge, or at the lake. But now I have to get creative to get them in the picture.

Like last year, I said, "You take the picture...."
See, don't the boys look happy??





Then someone would come along and say, "Let me take your picture...."



And voila....a great family photo!


But, my favorite picture from last year was:


We don't have any pictures of all of us together yet this year because we've only had 11 hours of travel time and haven't yet warmed up to the "fam photo" yet. But, I dragged hubby and got this for our first day of travel:




So....stay tuned.
I'll let you know how the rest of
Vacation 2012 turns out.

What's YOUR favorite part of vacation?
Leave a comment and let me know!

8 comments:

  1. Aunt Karen, It is so funny that you talk about the best part of vacation for you was having the time with your kids, because before I even read your blog I answered the question the same way. I know my kids are young, but they do all the things you mentioned, playing alone in their room or video games. We can be in the same house and I only spend a little time with them. When we are on vacation I get to spend every minute with them and I love to see the joy on their face from the excitement of whatever it is we are doing!!!! Love Cary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, spending quantity (quality) time with the kids IS the best thing about vacation time. So, I'm going to say the next best thing - seeing new places and things. I love the adventure of going someplace and discovering it's treasures of sights, food, smells, shops, etc. Have fun! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about vacation is NO SCHEDULE & SLEEPING IN! ...and that's coming from a lover of schedules & mornings.

    May I also add that those are GREAT photos and that you are SO pretty?!

    Drive safely. Drink Diet Coke. And buy this book for the drive home: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Questions-Conversation/dp/031024420X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the things Cary, Calista, and Micalla mentioned. But my favorite thing--especially if I'm somewhere new--is that my senses seem to be super-charged. Even the local Wal-mart seems new and exciting because it's in a different place with different people and sometimes even different kinds of stuff. I just feel more AWARE. Now to package that up and bring it home with me so my real life is super-charged and more aware, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow....so glad other people go to WalMart on vacation. That's usually one of our first stops (that, or McDs...even tho I try to boycott McDs on vacation.) But, this vacation, we went over 1000 miles before we stopped in a WalMart.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a pretty good going vacation so far except the construction, they knew you were coming so they had to throw that in for your enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I forgot to add...a part of my brother Waggoner and SIL Karen's vacation was to come visit me. LUCKY ME!! They are now in my home. I am enjoying every one, every moment so very much. It is also so good to see my two nephew's again. It's been way too long.
    Bye for now and love to all of you Karen.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so grateful for lovely accomodations at Gwen's! And catching up on life is priceless. There is NOTHING like family. Love you!

      Delete