Friday, June 8, 2012

LOCATED: The Morerods

Well friends, in answer to the question from the last blog of where the Morerods might be sighted on a southern route home from California to Kansas......the winner is BT from OK (Oklahoma, that is!).

We traveled through here:
(border of California)
where the temperature is know to be a little on the warm side.


And then we arrived here:






If you recognized those pictures as the Grand Canyon, you're right, just like BT from OK.

THINGS CHANGE over 18 years from when we were there before. I enjoyed it and appreciated the wonder of it all more this time. Maybe, because 18 years ago, we had five children, including two in strollers, and I probably was saying things like, "Don't get too close," "I know it's hot out here," "We'll go the bathroom soon," or "Yes, we'll visit the gift shop in a minute."

 Due to our travel schedule, we visited at 7:00 p.m. And, since I'm not a professional photographer (where is my daughter when I need her?), I apologize for the not-so-great quality of the pictures. I tried different camera settings, however, I'm not really sure many cameras can capture the beauty and awesomeness of the Grand Canyon.

Although there were a number of tripod-carrying photography buffs trying for their best shot with cameras slung around their necks and lenses that probably captured what was going on back home in Kansas.

And, in case you're wondering if we took advantage of the new glass bottom walkway that juts out over the Grand Canyon, the answer is .... ummm - NO. It was in another part of the Canyon, and since we didn't know if we had what it took to step foot on it, we decided not to venture there. If you want to see what I'm talking about and if you'd like that experience, click here.


I was going to save this next picture for the next blog on WHAT I LEARNED ON VACATION, but I will share it now since this learning experience happened at the Grand Canyon.

I learned that there IS something that can raise my blood pressure and body temperature higher than any mid-life hot flash. And that is this:


One of those crazy people that has ventured out onto a precarious, death defying, scare-your-mother-half-to-death cliff is son #4. Just inches from the toe of his Nike is the drop-off to the bottom of the Canyon. I am pleased to report, though, that both he and I lived to tell about it.

But I'm here to testify that no hormonal hot flash has anything on the temperatures my body soared to as I watched him take off and hike into this compromising location. My apron strings WERE NOT long enough. He didn't even ask my permission.

I recovered and we had a good time. Even #5 wanted in on the action. This is as daring as he and I get:


I look forward to chatting next time when I will report on WHAT I LEARNED ON VACATION. 

Leave me a comment and tell me this: are you a rock-adventurer, pushing the bounds of sanity OR one that is content to watch from safety and OK with not knowing what you missed by peering over the edge?

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! As for the question, I'm not sure, but I think I may have followed #4 out onto whatever space that was out there. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again:
    The pics you posted of the grand canyon are great and the video of the skywalk was very interesting. Speaking of Needles traveling from CA to MO, years ago, when people couldn't afford a motel room, I was in Needles at 1:00 am and the temp was 111, needless to say we didn't sleep and with the help of coffee, back on the road until we found a more comforable place to sleep. Have fun the rest of you trip...be safe and will look forward to hearing from you again.
    Hugs, Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, that's a very interesting question... You can get stung by a bee in your front yard and die from an anaphylactic reaction OR you can climb to a precarious perch and return safely with a "time of my life" memory to cherish... Not sure which I'd do; but I know David would be climbing there...(incidentally, when he "crashed" and tore his ligament and required surgery, it was NOT in a "dangerous place" at all. He just tripped and fell down... Sometimes we are very cautious in the "dangerous" places, and come through OK; but fall in the "safe/OK" places because we let our guard down and aren't careful. (OK, now I can see you making a sermon out of that one...) But, overall, I'll have to admit---I'd probably follow David (and Isaac) to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week, our pastor took 17 of us on what he calls a Quest adventure. And boy did I adventure! In the course of four days, I climbed a rock wall; climbed a 30-foot telephone pole, stood on the top of the pole and jumped off; hiked Silver Cascade Trail at Helen Hunt Falls; swam in icy cold waters in the "punch bowl" at Glen Eyrie; rode to the top of Pike's Peak; and went whitewater rafting. Whatever I was before doesn't matter; I now consider myself quite adventurous. :)

    ReplyDelete