Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Andy Griffith and Barney Fife: It Doesn't Get Any Better


I wrote this for THE RECORD newspaper in March 2006, shortly after Don Knotts (Barney Fife) died. I share these same sentiments about Andy Griffith (Sheriff Andy Taylor).

Sometimes it’s hard to think you’re doing any parenting right when you have two teens in the house.  But, thanks to my husband, our children have received a healthy minimum requirement of wholesome TV viewing – namely The Andy Griffith show. 


The antics from Mayberry have a special place in our home.  During the summers, it’s common to eat lunch as we gather at noon around our friends Sheriff Taylor, Deputy Fife, and Opie.


Often, a restless teen has been known grab one of our Andy Griffith DVDs and entertain himself for an hour. 



Don’t tell my 14 year old you know he watched Andy. However, I will set the record straight that the DVDs are his dad’s – not his.  But, it does a mother’s heart good to have her kids choose such entertainment. 



So, with the recent death of Don Knotts, our beloved deputy, we have been closely watching the tributes to this great actor.  Though he had other roles and venues in acting, he’ll always be remembered as a uniformed Barney.  He’s not a Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, or even a Steve Martin.  But he acted like none other.  He was part of a legendary TV series that took us to safe places, provided some laughs and yes, even good morals. 


I grew up watching The Andy Griffith show. But, even forty years ago, my city life seemed worlds away from Mayberry R.F.D.  Then, and even more so now, I secretly long to experience just a glimpse of that world.  Where as I kid, I might roam the streets freely.  Where as a parent, I wouldn’t worry about my kid on the street.  Or as a townsperson, I actually would know my neighbor and could say, “Oh, you know, down at the McGilley place . . .” 



That kind of life sounds rather refreshing at times.  I might even give up email for that.  Well, at least for a while.




Mayberry was a good place to escape, even if just mentally; and Barney Fife always made the escape worthwhile.  Today, people seem to escape to ‘reality.’  I don’t know about you, but Mayberry seemed a lot more real than being lost on an island, swapping wives, or calling for a Nanny to straighten out your bratty kids.  I’ll choose Andy and friends anytime over the ‘reality’ Hollywood is producing these days. 


So, while many are watching the red carpet, the outfits (or lack of outfits) the stars are wearing, envelopes being opened and Oscars being presented, I think I’ll read a good book.  Or maybe yet, invite the kids to grab a DVD of a most deserving award-winning actor, escape into Mayberry one more time, and thank Deputy Fife for the experience. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Karen, thanks so much for directing us to your delightful article about Barney Fife. I can totally agree with you about him and Andy. Those shows were so fun. Actually the neighborhood and safety of those times remind me of my childhood in a suburb of Oklahoma City when I was in elementary school. Remembering Good old days like that helps me relax. Everything and everyone were more laid back and gentle flowing, until WW2 hit. I LOVE your writings.. Keep it up good buddy.

    ReplyDelete