Saturday, May 12, 2012

All Things Mom

It's Mother's Day this weekend. I've had my mom my whole entire life - and that's so long sometimes I forget that she hasn't always had me. But, guess what? She, too, started out just a baby.


But, as babies will, she grew up and soon started Kindergarten. Yes, even Moms went to Kindergarten.



Lots of Moms - even mine - ran around barefoot with their brothers and had all sorts of old-fashioned fun. No time for X-Box, texting, or spatting with friends on Facebook. They had some serious horsing around to do.



But Mom grew up and . . . wow! Lost that little girl look. And started signing things "Love."



They say a picture is worth a thousand words; and that picture and signature must have set off some sparks because next thing you know, well... a picture saves a few words . . .



Mom-As-A-Newlywed apparently had a statement to make early on in the marriage.




WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?


But, apparently things worked out OK and her newly betrothed was released from the beach because, shortly, my brother and I came into the picture. And this is my earliest point of reference for a timeless mom.


That seems just like yesterday. I wonder if it does to Mom.


And just as fast as her own kids grew up, next thing you knew, my mom who started solo in this world was Grandma to freckle-faced darling girls and a brood of ornery boys.


As I think of Mom this Mother's Day. I can't imagine life without her. Oh, I know she won't always be around. And I truly pray God's comfort for those of you who are experiening life without your mom.

And yet maybe you can relate as I share this:

My mom, first of all, taught me how to follow God. Then how to be a wife, mother, and a grandma. She also taught me how to be a daughter as I watched her care so faithfully for her own mother throught their lives.

She's shown me that her strength goes far beyond her playful prank of  lording over her sand-buried newlywed husband. She's beaten cancer, struggled through heart attacks of her life's partner, and been the rock as her kids and grandkids struggled through their growing up years. She remained true to her commitment to God even when she was tempted to ask, "Why?" Yep, she's pretty strong.

Happy Mother's Day Mom and I love you!

 

 
And happy Mother's Day to all moms who've blazed the path for their own families.

What words describe your mom?



6 comments:

  1. Sweet tribute to your mom! I loved all the pictures! You're a blessed woman to still have your mom around:) Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My Grandma is the BEST! (Well, she's tied with the best...I have TWO BEST Grandma's :)

    A few thoughts:
    1. The picture of Grandma on the horse..."is it just me" or does it resemble me at all? All my life, I thought I was a Congrove-look-alike, but looks like I have some Noah in me too!
    2. That beach picture is AWESOME. Fun to see my Grandparents as youngins'.
    3. In the group picture, I never realized I was the ONLY grandchild NOT matching. Did I miss the memo? Or is it just the poor-middle-child-syndrome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micalla: yep - you have NOAH blood in you! As for the not matching clothes - I have no recollection why and I didn't even notice Robin and Bri were dressed alike. Maybe your mom knows why. If you find out why - let me know. Hard to miss that the boys were dressed alike! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this blog and the pictures. Grandma was cute when she was little!!! Didn't mean that the way it sounds...Shes still"cute".

    You know we take so many things for granted. You never miss your MOM
    until you don't have them any longer..I had a wonderful Mom and I miss her so much.But I was fortunate to have her in my life for many years. So be thankful each day for Mom and the time you have together. Thanks for posting and giving me the opportunity to say how much I love my Mom. Love to you both, Barbara Tush

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool Karen! I loved the stroll down memory lane (and the pictures before my memory lane of the Davis family began). I love your Mom! She is very special to me and my Mom. Thanks for sharing the pictures and memories. I especially liked the one of Merle buried in the sand on the beach! I see that my Mom published a comment too and that it gave her a venue to voice her love for her Mom, my Grandma, who we love and miss everyday. I am very thankful that we both still have our Mom's in our lives and that we cherish our time with them. They are the best! Take care Karen. Love, Sharon Tush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family is SO special to our family. I totally dream of a Tush-Davis reunion soon - preferably while we're all still alive :)

      Delete