Friday, March 23, 2012

Undone

Most of the time when you come here, I am hopeful that you will have a laugh or two - even if it's at the expense of my reputation!



However, this week has been not-quite-so-funny. There have been bittersweet pills to swallow. Blessings disguised as death. And tragedy. Here's the week in order:

A close friend's mom passed away. I never met Ruth from New York. But I hear she was a wonderful Christian woman who left the legacy of a wonderful faith-filled life. She was in her eighties and ready to see Jesus.

A thirty-year-old woman I'd never met, and never will, was killed in a car accident in the small community where I work. I passed the accident just after it happened; and was saddened by the jumbled mess of cars and emergency vehicles surrounding the scene.

My very dear friend's grandmother passed away. She was in her nineties and moved here 18 months ago when she could no longer care for herself in California. She loved God and had been active in her church in her younger years; but the ugly disease of Alzheimers had taken over and she made life miserable for all who cared for her, including my friend and her husband. Occasionally she'd have a good day with kind words, but most days she lived bitter. Her family faithfully cared for her; and in her last few days they were able to exchange some mutual loving words before she went to meet her Savior.

Friday, a good friend passed away. Lung issues and other health problems caused her body to give out. I remember Bonnie as the "woman who did everything." She had been a nurse, a flower arranger, a seamstress, a crafter. She made a H-U-G-E pink bow that covered the entire roof of the surprise new Mustang for my fortieth birthday. It seemed there was nothing she couldn't do.

Which brings me to my thoughts today. Of course, all week I have been grateful for the promise of eternal life for those who love and follow Jesus. But, as Bonnie was life-flighted to the hospital earlier this week, I wonder if she knew she wouldn't return home. And, for that matter, I doubt the thirty year old in the car accident had any idea she wouldn't return home that day.

I wonder what they left undone. Bonnie was always doing something. Did she leave craft projects half-finished? Was she making another pair of curtains? Did she anticipate returning home to finish something?

You know, it's one thing to leave leisure time activities undone, but I've been thinking about my own life. If I were to leave my house tomorrow and not return, what would I leave undone? Words I should have said? Time spent with someone? Deeds for somebody in need? Words written to encourage, inspire, or lift someone's day?

What don't you want to be left undone?

5 comments:

  1. Karen, I think this post has touched my heart deeper than any other post you've writtten that I've seen. The picture finished it off nicely, too!
    A deep matter of the heart that we all need to consider in planning our days. Our days should definitely begin with prayer.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! Thanks for 'sharing' your mom with us!

      Delete
  2. Karen:
    I really enjoyed your latest post. My children and I have discussed how precious life is and can be snuffed away so quickly. What I wouldn't want left undone, is, I love you my beautiful family.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder that life is too short, no matter your age when you leave this earth. Makes me stop and think about what truly is important in the grand scheme of things. So many things that take up valuable time really aren't as important as what we think them to be. Definitely going to give my kids that extra kiss and hug at bedtime tonight. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    Thanks for mentioning Mike and I's grandmother. I appreciate your prayers and enjoyed getting the plant that you sent today. That was very thoughtful and very much appreciated. I've enjoyed reading what you wrote throughout the years and I am loving this new blog. I will finally have some time to forward it on to family and friends!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete